THROUGH THE YEARS

Our Station Through the Years
Clacton Crew are working hard to put together a Complete History Timeline of our Station. If you have any information that could be added, we would like to hear from you.
CONTACT US CONTACT US
The Institution decided to open a station at Clacton on Sea in 1877 at the request of local residents, and the first boat was sent in the following year. The first three lifeboats all named `Albert Edward` were gifts to the Institution from the Freemasons of England, the first being presented in 1878 a commemoration of the safe return from his tour in India of their Grand Master King Edward VIII, then Prince of Wales. 1828 Silver medal awarded to William Weekes for the rescue, with eight others of the Master, Mate and ten seamen from the Brig `Graf Von Essen` on 1st December. 1830 Silver medal was awarded to Robert Cleave who with two seamen rescued two seamen from the Brig `Craig Elachie` wrecked on Gunfleet Sands on 24th December 18 others drowned. 1843 Silver medals awarded to John Glover, master of the Smack `Atalanta` Stephen Hurry, Master of the Smack `New Gypsy` and John Powell of `Lord Howe` for rescuing the master and 9 men from the brig `Traveller` wrecked at Gunfleet Sand on 18th February. 1855 The Brig `Stanton` of North Shields, having struck on the Gunfleet Sands, attempts were made by several smacks to get her off, but without success. The Smack `Aurora's Increase` then took off her crew, with the exception of an apprentice boy and three men belonging to another smack; the next day the smack `Tryall` and `Aurora's Increase` endeavored to rescue these people, but in vain and it was not until two days later that they succeeded in doing so. This was accomplished with the assistance of the Steam-tug `Amazon`. William Lewis and John Lewis, Master of the smack were awarded Silver medals. 1878 Lifeboat house constructer in Anglefield on the corner of Church Road at a cost of £510 by Messrs E Cauler. A fence was placed around the lifeboat house at a cost of £39 to prevent cattle from damaging it. 1881 Silver medal awarded to Robert Legerton Coxswain, in recognition of his general gallant services and particularly on the occasion of the rescue of the crew of 16 men of the Lugger `Madeleine`. which was wrecked on Gunfleet Sands on 23rd October. The French Government awarded a Gold medal to Coxswain R. Legerton and 2nd Coxswain James Cross and Silver medals to each of the remaining eleven members of the lifeboat crew for the rescue of the crew of 16 of the steam lugger `Madeleine` of Boulogne in October 1881. 1884 Two slipways constructed on pier for use of lifeboat at a cost of £690. Lifeboat capsized on service on 23rd January during a north west gale with the loss of two of her crew of twelve, James Cross, 2nd Coxswain and Tom Cattermole, crew member. Committee of Management voted £450 to local funds. Silver medal Second Service Clasp to Robert Legerton, Coxswain. 1888 Committee of Management voted £50 to the widow of Benjamin Addis who died on 19th February from the effects of exposure when out on service on the 14th January. He had been a member of the crew since the formation of the station. 1891 Silver medal Third Service Clasp was awarded to Robert Legerton on his resignation from the post of Coxswain which he held for about thirteen years. 1893 Silver medal awarded to W. Schofield, Coxswain in recognition of his gallant services in the boats. Repairs to slipway £160. 1894 Silver medals to Maurice Nicholls, Robert Osborne and John Gried who had been out on service respectively 77, 74 and 67 times. 1894 HM The King of Denmark awarded a Silver medal to Coxswain William Schofield and a monetary reward to the lifeboat crew for the rescue of the crew of seven of the brigantine `St. Alexal` of Copenhagen in January 1894. 1899 Silver medal awarded to Maurice Nicholls (Second Service Clasp) Robert Osborne (Second Service Clasp) and G. Grigson Snr on their retirement. 1911 Estimate for new slipway £1,500. 1914 Silver medal awarded to Coxswain George Grigson for the rescue of 15 from the ss `Harlington` on 4th December. The lifeboat was at the rescue almost continually until 5th December in very severe conditions of weather. 1915 Silver medals (Second Service Clasp) awarded to Coxswain George Grigson and 2nd Coxswain Jesse Salmon for the rescue of the Barque `Leading Chief` on the 28th September. It was necessary for the lifeboat to make nine separate attempts to approach the vessel and finally to take the lifeboat over the submerged deck of the vessel in a most hazardous operation in the inky darkness with the heavy seas running. 1918 Silver medal (Third Service Clasp) to Coxswain George Grigson and the Bronze medal to Coxswain J. Salmon for the rescue of 23 from the ss `Iris` on the 27th December 1917. The weather bitterly cold with snow showers and strong easterly gale. The Master refused to leave the ship and the lifeboat stood by for several hours. The weather got worse and it was not until the seas were washing the vessel fore and aft the Captain decided to leave the ship. The crew were rescued with great difficulty and danger. Both the rescuers and the rescued were numbed and well nigh frozen from their long exposure of 24 hours in icy cold weather. 1932 In 1932 the German Government thanked the lifeboat crew in respect of their service to German aircraft on 29th 30th October 1932. 1936 Information to come on fishing smack called `The Argo` on the 6th Oct 1936 1940 Silver medal awarded to Coxswain Charles Ellis for the rescue of three from the smack `Charlotte Ellen` and two of the Barge `Lorna` on the 19th November 1939 The Clacton lifeboat `Edward Z Dresden` was one of the 19 lifeboats which took part in the evacuation of the BEF from Dunkirk. The lifeboat could no longer work from Clacton as the middle of the pier had been blown up to make it useless to invading forces and the lifeboat house was at the end of the pier. The lifeboat was then stationed at Brightlingsea in the River Colne where she lay afloat. 1943 There is a memorial plaque in the boathouse in memory of 2nd Coxswain Frank Castle who lost his life on service on 7th April 1943, when the barge `Tam O'Shanter` capsized in heavy weather while being towed by the lifeboat. 1966 D-Class lifeboat sent to station in July. 1967 The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain George Ellis for the rescue of eight people on board the catamaran `Yana` six of whom were policemen, which was in difficulties one mile west of the sunken Buxey buoy in a storm force south westerly wind with a very rough sea on 16th 17th October. 1970 The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain Charles Bolingbroke in recognition of his courage and determination when the lifeboat rescued three men from a converted ship's lifeboat which had broken down one and a half miles south west of Beach Head Buoy in a southerly gale and rough sea on the 16th August. Vellum service certificates were pre-sented to the remainder of the crew. 1971 The thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain Charles Bolingbroke in recognition of his leadership and seamanship when the lifeboat rescued five people from a yacht `Zona` and the cabin cruiser `Pisces` which were in difficulties near the west Swin buoy in a south south westerly gale and rough sea on the 20th November. Framed letters of appreciation signed by the chairman were presented to the remainder of the crew. 1974 The thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain Charles Bolingbroke in recognition of his considerable courage and great skill when the lifeboat saved the Dutch 45 foot steel motor barge `Minnie Ha Ha` and her crew of three which was aground in a gale force wind and a very rough sea on the 15th July. Vellum service certificates were presented to the remainder of the crew. 1978 Centenary Vellum awarded to station. 1984 Atlantic 21 class lifeboat was placed on service at the station on 6th August, and the all weather lifeboat was withdrawn on the 10th August. 1992 Bronze Medal awarded to Helmsman David Wells on recognition of his high standard of seamanship, boathandling skills and determination, when the Atlantic 21 class lifeboat `Institute of London Underwriters` gave assistance to a yacht `Two Niner` on 1st November 1991. The yacht, with six persons on board, had gone aground on the south east side of Buxey Sand in a south south westerly gale and very rough seas. The thanks of the Institution inscribed on vellum was accorded to Terry M Bolingbroke for his boathandling skills on board the yacht and a framed letter of appreciation signed by the Chairman of the Institution, Michael Vernon, was awarded to Crew Member Thomas Ridley for his invaluable support during the above service. The Ralph Glister Award and the Walter and Elizabeth Groombridge Award were awarded to Helmsman David Wells and crew members Thomas Ridley and Terry Bolingbroke for the service to the yacht, `Two Niner` on the 1st November 1991. 2006 Work started on the new lifeboat house site in Hastings Avenue, Clacton. The new building which is next to the Coastguard station will house both lifeboats and provide up to the minute training and crew facilities. A gift shop and viewing area are included in the plans giving better access to the public than at the present boathouse on the pier. The lifeboats will be launched across the beach using specially built tractors. Having both boats under one roof will be a big advantage, and new facilities such as workshops and changing rooms will make life easier for the crew. It is hoped the building will be completed in the autumn 2006   After around 121 years on Clacton Pier the Lifeboat leaves for its new station. (more info soon) Move to new boathouse at Martello Bay. The new boathouse accommodating both the Atlantic 75 and the D Class boats was completed on 6th September. 2007 New boathouse officially opened on saturday 12th May by The Right Honourable the Earl Howe. 2009 A new D Class IB1 Lifeboat, D723 Damarkand IV, was placed on service on 25 June. Lifeboat D‑559 Seahorse II has been withdrawn.   16/17 August. Both the Atlantic 75 and the D Class together with shore based crew involved in a 24 hour search for a missing 10 year old girl. Sadly Stella Akanbi’s body was spotted by the Police air support unit and recovered by the crew of the Atlantic 75 26 September. Naming ceremony for D723 Damarkand IV. The ILB was named by the donors Mr David Snell and Mrs Marion Snell 2010 6th October.  Long serving Lifeboat Operations Manager (LOM), Rob Smith, retires after 44 years service with Clacton Lifeboat Station. Dave Wells, former Crewman, Senior Helmsman and Deputy Launching Authority (DLA), is appointed as LOM.

THROUGH THE

YEARS

Our Station Through the Years
Clacton Crew are working hard to put together a Complete History Timeline of our Station. If you have any information that could be added, we would like to hear from you.
CONTACT US CONTACT US
The Institution decided to open a station at Clacton on Sea in 1877 at the request of local residents, and the first boat was sent in the following year. The first three lifeboats all named `Albert Edward` were gifts to the Institution from the Freemasons of England, the first being presented in 1878 a commemoration of the safe return from his tour in India of their Grand Master King Edward VIII, then Prince of Wales. 1828 Silver medal awarded to William Weekes for the rescue, with eight others of the Master, Mate and ten seamen from the Brig `Graf Von Essen` on 1st December. 1830 Silver medal was awarded to Robert Cleave who with two seamen rescued two seamen from the Brig `Craig Elachie` wrecked on Gunfleet Sands on 24th December 18 others drowned. 1843 Silver medals awarded to John Glover, master of the Smack `Atalanta` Stephen Hurry, Master of the Smack `New Gypsy` and John Powell of `Lord Howe` for rescuing the master and 9 men from the brig `Traveller` wrecked at Gunfleet Sand on 18th February. 1855 The Brig `Stanton` of North Shields, having struck on the Gunfleet Sands, attempts were made by several smacks to get her off, but without success. The Smack `Aurora's Increase` then took off her crew, with the exception of an apprentice boy and three men belonging to another smack. The next day the smack `Tryall` and `Aurora's Increase` endeavored to rescue these people, but in vain and it was not until two days later that they succeeded in doing so. This was accomplished with the assistance of the Steam-tug `Amazon`. William Lewis and John Lewis, Master of the smack were awarded Silver medals. 1878 Lifeboat house constructer in Anglefield on the corner of Church Road at a cost of £510 by Messrs E Cauler. A fence was placed around the lifeboat house at a cost of £39 to prevent cattle from damaging it. 1881 Silver medal awarded to Robert Legerton Coxswain, in recognition of his general gallant services and particularly on the occasion of the rescue of the crew of 16 men of the Lugger `Madeleine`. which was wrecked on Gunfleet Sands on 23rd October. The French Government awarded a Gold medal to Coxswain R. Legerton and 2nd Coxswain James Cross and Silver medals to each of the remaining eleven members of the lifeboat crew for the rescue of the crew of 16 of the steam lugger `Madeleine` of Boulogne in October 1881. 1884 Two slipways constructed on pier for use of lifeboat at a cost of £690. Lifeboat capsized on service on 23rd January during a north west gale with the loss of two of her crew of twelve, James Cross, 2nd Coxswain and Tom Cattermole, crew member. Committee of Management voted £450 to local funds. Silver medal Second Service Clasp to Robert Legerton, Coxswain. 1888 Committee of Management voted £50 to the widow of Benjamin Addis who died on 19th February from the effects of exposure when out on service on the 14th January. He had been a member of the crew since the formation of the station. 1891 Silver medal Third Service Clasp was awarded to Robert Legerton on his resignation from the post of Coxswain which he held for about thirteen years. 1893 Silver medal awarded to W. Schofield, Coxswain in recognition of his gallant services in the boats. Repairs to slipway £160. 1894 Silver medals to Maurice Nicholls, Robert Osborne and John Gried who had been out on service respectively 77, 74 and 67 times. 1894 HM The King of Denmark awarded a Silver medal to Coxswain William Schofield and a monetary reward to the lifeboat crew for the rescue of the crew of seven of the brigantine `St. Alexal` of Copenhagen in January 1894. 1899 Silver medal awarded to Maurice Nicholls (Second Service Clasp) Robert Osborne (Second Service Clasp) and G. Grigson Snr on their retirement. 1911 Estimate for new slipway £1,500. 1914 Silver medal awarded to Coxswain George Grigson for the rescue of 15 from the ss `Harlington` on 4th December. The lifeboat was at the rescue almost continually until 5th December in very severe conditions of weather. 1915 Silver medals (Second Service Clasp) awarded to Coxswain George Grigson and 2nd Coxswain Jesse Salmon for the rescue of the Barque `Leading Chief` on the 28th September. It was necessary for the lifeboat to make nine separate attempts to approach the vessel and finally to take the lifeboat over the submerged deck of the vessel in a most hazardous operation in the inky darkness with the heavy seas running. 1918 Silver medal (Third Service Clasp) to Coxswain George Grigson and the Bronze medal to Coxswain J. Salmon for the rescue of 23 from the ss `Iris` on the 27th December 1917. The weather bitterly cold with snow showers and strong easterly gale. The Master refused to leave the ship and the lifeboat stood by for several hours. The weather got worse and it was not until the seas were washing the vessel fore and aft the Captain decided to leave the ship. The crew were rescued with great difficulty and danger. Both the rescuers and the rescued were numbed and well nigh frozen from their long exposure of 24 hours in icy cold weather. 1932 In 1932 the German Government thanked the lifeboat crew in respect of their service to German aircraft on 29th 30th October 1932. 1936 Information to come on fishing smack called `The Argo` on the 6th Oct 1936 1940 Silver medal awarded to Coxswain Charles Ellis for the rescue of three from the smack `Charlotte Ellen` and two of the Barge `Lorna` on the 19th November 1939 The Clacton lifeboat `Edward Z Dresden` was one of the 19 lifeboats which took part in the evacuation of the BEF from Dunkirk. The lifeboat could no longer work from Clacton as the middle of the pier had been blown up to make it useless to invading forces and the lifeboat house was at the end of the pier. The lifeboat was then stationed at Brightlingsea in the River Colne where she lay afloat. 1943 There is a memorial plaque in the boathouse in memory of 2nd Coxswain Frank Castle who lost his life on service on 7th April 1943, when the barge `Tam O'Shanter` capsized in heavy weather while being towed by the lifeboat. 1966 D-Class lifeboat sent to station in July. 1967 The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain George Ellis for the rescue of eight people on board the catamaran `Yana` six of whom were policemen, which was in difficulties one mile west of the sunken Buxey buoy in a storm force south westerly wind with a very rough sea on 16th 17th October. 1970 The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain Charles Bolingbroke in recognition of his courage and determination when the lifeboat rescued three men from a converted ship's lifeboat which had broken down one and a half miles south west of Beach Head Buoy in a southerly gale and rough sea on the 16th August. Vellum service certificates were pre- sented to the remainder of the crew. 1971 The thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain Charles Bolingbroke in recognition of his leadership and seamanship when the lifeboat rescued five people from a yacht `Zona` and the cabin cruiser `Pisces` which were in difficulties near the west Swin buoy in a south south westerly gale and rough sea on the 20th November. Framed letters of appreciation signed by the chairman were presented to the remainder of the crew. 1974 The thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain Charles Bolingbroke in recognition of his considerable courage and great skill when the lifeboat saved the Dutch 45 foot steel motor barge `Minnie Ha Ha` and her crew of three which was aground in a gale force wind and a very rough sea on the 15th July. Vellum service certificates were presented to the remainder of the crew. 1978 Centenary Vellum awarded to station. 1984 Atlantic 21 class lifeboat was placed on service at the station on 6th August, and the all weather lifeboat was withdrawn on the 10th August. 1992 Bronze Medal awarded to Helmsman David Wells on recognition of his high standard of seamanship, boathandling skills and determination, when the Atlantic 21 class lifeboat `Institute of London Underwriters` gave assistance to a yacht `Two Niner` on 1st November 1991. The yacht, with six persons on board, had gone aground on the south east side of Buxey Sand in a south south westerly gale and very rough seas. The thanks of the Institution inscribed on vellum was accorded to Terry M Bolingbroke for his boathandling skills on board the yacht and a framed letter of appreciation signed by the Chairman of the Institution, Michael Vernon, was awarded to Crew Member Thomas Ridley for his invaluable support during the above service. The Ralph Glister Award and the Walter and Elizabeth Groombridge Award were awarded to Helmsman David Wells and crew members Thomas Ridley and Terry Bolingbroke for the service to the yacht, `Two Niner` on the 1st November 1991. 2006 Work started on the new lifeboat house site in Hastings Avenue, Clacton. The new building which is next to the Coastguard station will house both lifeboats and provide up to the minute training and crew facilities. A gift shop and viewing area are included in the plans giving better access to the public than at the present boathouse on the pier. The lifeboats will be launched across the beach using specially built tractors. Having both boats under one roof will be a big advantage, and new facilities such as workshops and changing rooms will make life easier for the crew. It is hoped the building will be completed in the autumn 2006   After around 121 years on Clacton Pier the Lifeboat leaves for its new station. (more info soon) Move to new boathouse at Martello Bay. The new boathouse accommodating both the Atlantic 75 and the D Class boats was completed on 6th September. 2007 New boathouse officially opened on saturday 12th May by The Right Honourable the Earl Howe. 2009 A new D Class IB1 Lifeboat, D723 Damarkand IV, was placed on service on 25 June. Lifeboat D‑559 Seahorse II has been withdrawn.   16/17 August. Both the Atlantic 75 and the D Class together with shore based crew involved in a 24 hour search for a missing 10 year old girl. Sadly Stella Akanbi’s body was spotted by the Police air support unit and recovered by the crew of the Atlantic 75 26 September. Naming ceremony for D723 Damarkand IV. The ILB was named by the donors Mr David Snell and Mrs Marion Snell 2010 6th October.  Long serving Lifeboat Operations Manager (LOM), Rob Smith, retires after 44 years service with Clacton Lifeboat Station. Dave Wells, Deputy Launching Authority and former crew member is appointed as LOM
Clacton Lifeboat Station
Clacton Lifeboat Station
MENU